LEDs and compact fluorescent bulbs have become very popular among owners because of the energy savings they provide. For electric garage door openers, it is much better to use LED bulbs because they last 25% longer than compact fluorescent bulbs and do not interrupt the communication signal between a door opener and its remote control.
First, a Little History. What Does LED Mean?
Initially used in electronic products, a light emitting diode (LED) bulb is a semiconductor device that emits light when an electric current passes through it.
View Additionally: Best Garage Door Maintenance Tips
Unlike the popular incandescent bulb that uses only 5% of the energy supplied to produce light, wasting the rest in heat, an LED has a much more efficient use of energy. LED bulbs can be low performance (attenuated), used as indicators in home electronics and Christmas lights, and high performance (bright) that are used in lighting for general use.
Products from Amazon.com
The Advantages of LED Bulbs
These are the basic advantages of LED bulbs:
- Significant energy savings (around 85%) compared to incandescent lighting products.
- Its useful life is approximately 25,000 hours, based on an average of 3 hours per day of use. This is very practical if the only lighting in your garage comes from your door opener.
- They produce light instantly, like incandescent bulbs, without warm-up time.
- They produce very little heat.
Not all LED Bulbs Can be Used in an Electric Garage Door Opener
Chamberlain, the parent company of the Chamberlain, Liftmaster, and Craftsman (Sears) product lines, has specified which brands of LED bulbs can be used in their openers:
- Bulbs Model Number of the Bulbs Watts
- Philips 425256 40
- ECOSMART ECS A19CW 60W E120 60
- ECOSMART ECS GP19 W27 40WE FR 120 DG 2PK 40
- CREE BA19-04527OMF-12DE26-2U100 40
- 3M RRA19B4 60
- Sylvania 72554 60
- FEIT BPAG800DM-LED 60
- FEIT R20_DM_LED 45
If You Need Additional Advice …
Then just contact a garage door specialist in your area. They know all brands of garage door openers. If you want to change your garage door opener, you can request an online quote from them.
Read More: Overhead Garage Door